Pound cake is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. Traditionally made with wheat flour, this cake is known for its rich and buttery flavor and dense texture. However, for those who are sensitive to gluten or have celiac disease, wheat flour is not an option. Fortunately, there is an alternative – rice flour.
Is rice flour gluten-free?
Rice flour is a gluten-free flour that is made from ground rice. It is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of recipes, including cakes. In this pound cake I use 100% rice flour, which is normally not the best thing to do with cakes. I always suggest to mix rice flour with potato or tapioca starch to achieve the ideal tenderness (like in this apple cake recipe). However, this recipe is a good option when you have only rice flour in your pantry, or you want something really simple to bake for your next breakfast. For this same reason, I use no butter but oil instead. You can choose a light flavored olive oil, rice oil or any seeds oil you prefer.
Moreover, rice flour adds a slightly nutty flavor and a tender crumb to the cake. It’s perfect for those who are looking for a gluten-free dessert option or simply want to try something new. You can also serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream for an indulgent treat that everyone will love.
Simple ingredients for this rice flour marbled pound cake
To make this rice flour marbled pound cake without any gums, you will need:
- Rice flour
- Eggs, at room temperature
- A light flavored oil, like rice oil or seeds oil
- Granulated sugar
- Yogurt and milk: you can choose to use dairy or plant-based ones
- Cocoa powder, to create the swirl (you can also omit this and do a simple pound cake. In this case, I would suggest to add some lemon zest, too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Looking for other easy gluten-free cakes? Try these other recipes from the blog:
- this extra chocolate-y cake that is also unexpectedly vegan: CLICK HERE for the recipe
- an Ottolenghi-sh style figs and almond cake, wonderful in its simplicity: CLICK HERE for the recipe
And to stay updated on all latest recipe, make sure to follow my Instagram page. Feel free to send me a DM at anytime if you have a doubt about a recipe!